Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lemon-Artichoke Cod

Tonight I attempted to make Cooking Light's Lemon-Artichoke Halibut en Papillote (in simple terms, halibut baked in parchment paper).  I have made this recipe on numerous occasions because it's quick, healthy and tastes good.  I couldn't find halibut at Trader Joes so I bought Alaskan cod thinking that would work just as well, I was wrong.  I am not sure what the problem was but the fish got soggy, started falling apart and made me want to scrap the whole thing and run next door to Chipotle.

Instead of the last minute taco run, I decided to use the other piece of cod that I was saving for tomorrow nights dinner and try the recipe out in a skillet.  Thankfully it worked and ended up tasting great.  I would highly recommend the original dish with the halibut but this tasted just us a good and as it turns out, is even faster to throw together.

I served mine over a little bit of leftover quinoa from last nights stir fry dinner and some leftover sauteed green beans.  For those of you that haven't tried quinoa, it's a great substitute for rice or couscous. Quinoa is low in fat and high in fiber, vitamins, and omega 3-fatty acids. Give it a try!


 Lemon-Artichoke Cod
 ** modified from Cooking Light recipe above

Serves 4 (I just made a 1/4 of the recipe)
Cooking Time: 10 minutes

4 (6 oz) cod fillets
salt
pepper
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1/4 c. fresh salsa
1 (9 oz) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed (I used a can)
juice of one lemon

Heat skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.  Season cod fillets with salt and pepper and then add to the hot skillet. Squeeze the juice from one lemon over the fillets.  Cook for about 4 minutes on one side.  Flip the fillets over and cook for another 4 minutes.  Add the artichoke hearts and the salsa to the skillet and cook for another 2 minutes.  Remove fish from the skillet and top with salsa and artichokes. Serve immediately.

No comments: