Thursday, November 4, 2010

Healthy Cinnamon Apple Muffins

I have been craving some sort of fall muffin or bread for weeks and finally broke down and baked muffins last night.  I found this recipe for Cinnamon Apple Muffins on the Cooking Light website and actually had all of the ingredients- too perfect!  These muffins are low in fat and calories and after reading the recipe reviews I was able to find a few ways to lighten it up even more.  Not only did the muffins turn out great but now my apartment smells like apples, cinnamon and sugar!


Healthy Cinnamon Apple Muffins
** Adapted from Cooking Light
printable recipe

Makes 18 Muffins
Prep/Cook Time: 30 minutes

2 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. finely chopped peeled Golden Delicious apples, I only had to use 1 large apple
1 c. nonfat yogurt
1/3 c. skim milk
1/3 c. light ricotta cheese
3 T. unsweetened applesauce
1 T. vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
Cooking spray
3 T. sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400.

Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in apple, and make a well in center of the mixture. Combine yogurt and next six ingredients (yogurt through eggs) in a separate bowl.  Add yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and stir. Spoon batter into 18 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.

Combine 3 T. sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon in small bowl; sprinkle evenly over batter. Bake at 400 for 15-18 minutes or until done.  Be careful not to over bake. Remove from pans immediately; cool on wire rack.

** The recipe is great as is but if you don't want to use ricotta I think apple butter would be a great substitute.  I plan to try this next time.  I use apple butter in my oatmeal cookie recipe and I love the flavor it adds and I also think the muffins might turn out a little more moist. 

** According to reviews these muffins freeze well.  I froze half and brought the rest into work.  I figure I don't really need 18 muffins tempting me and they'll come in handy the next time I have a craving for a healthy muffin and don't feel like baking!

No comments: