Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Salmon Nicoise Salad

I knew my blogging would be less frequent with the start of student teaching but I didn't think it would get this bad. I have had recipes that I have planned to make the past few weeks and it just hasn't happened, sorry!  The good news is that while my time in the kitchen (and at the gym) may be lacking right now, my first four weeks of student teaching have gone really well! I survived a field trip to the Planetarium with 30 kids, started teaching all of the subjects full time, and picked up some great stories (and germs). 

While most of my meals have consisted of whatever I could throw together in 10 minutes or less, I did manage to make a good dinner on Sunday evening. After eating too much junk food during the Bears game on Sunday I was craving a big healthy salad. Recently I had a Salmon Nicoise Salad at Nordstrom's Cafe and decided to try and recreate it. It ended up turning out great. The salad was easy to prepare, filling and nutritious with the omega rich salmon.

Salmon Nicoise Salad
** dressing adapted from a Weight Watchers Cookbook
print recipe

Serves 1 but you could easily double
Prep/Cook Time: 20 minutes

For Salad:
1 (6 oz) salmon fillet
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
2 T. pitted kalamata olives, halved
1/8 pound green beans, trimmed (about a handful)
1 large egg
1 small red potato, quartered

For Dressing:
** I made extra so I would have dressing for salads throughout the week
2 T. dijion mustard
2 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. honey
2 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425. While oven is preheating, place potato and whole unbroken egg in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Remove eggs and run under cold water; set aside. Cook potato 5 more minutes and then add green beans. Simmer 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove potato and beans and run under cold water; drain. Peel eggs, and slice into wedges; set aside.

Coat a small baking pan with PAM. Season salmon with salt and pepper and cook for 12-15 minutes or until fish flakes easily.

Combine mustard, vinegar, honey, oil and a dash of salt and pepper in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.

Combine spinach, olives, and onion in a large bowl; add vinaigrette, potato, and beans, and toss to combine. Arrange salad on plate and top with baked salmon and eggs.

No comments: