Saturday, September 3, 2011

BLT Pasta

I just realized that I haven't posted any new recipes since the 18th, yikes! It's been a busy (and fun) two weeks with the start of school and a wedding last weekend in Minneapolis. I have a few recipes that I will be posting this weekend that we have made over the last two weeks and hopefully from here on out I will be better about posting more frequently. No guarantees though!

This week we made two great dishes, a BLT pasta and a pizza that I will share the recipe for later. The BLT pasta was Brady's idea, it's a favorite dish of his at a restaurant in Eau Claire, Wisconsin where he went to college. I was expecting a heavy pasta dish but the recipe that we used is light and perfect for the end of summer. I loved the garlic lemon sauce and the addition of the basil and arugula not only adds great flavor but makes the dish bright and aesthetically pleasing!


BLT Pasta
recipe from Heather Cristo Cooks

Serves 4
Prep/Cook Time: 25 minutes

1 lb whole wheat pasta (we used Fusilli)
5-6 slices bacon
1 large bunch arugula
1 handful fresh basil
2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 lemons, juiced
¼ cup olive oil (I think you could use less and just add a little pasta water at the end)
Kosher salt and Cracked black pepper
*** canned crab meat (optional) 

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon till crispy and then set aside to drain on a paper towel.

Cook the pasta according to directions.

In a small bowl, combine garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil. Add the vinaigrette to a skillet and bring to a simmer. Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss to coat. Add the crumbled bacon, arugula, basil, and cherry tomatoes to the pasta and toss. Season with salt and pepper.

*** The original recipe suggests topping the pasta with a little crab meat. We tried this, it was good but I don't think it's necessary.

No comments: