Friday, February 11, 2011

Chipotle Honey Chicken with Butternut Squash and Sweet Potatoes

I cook with chicken pretty frequently. It's cheap, doesn't take long to cook, and you can buy it frozen and use it when you need it (huge plus in my book). I have a few favorite tried and true chicken dishes and am always on the search for new chicken recipes. This week Brady made Chipotle Honey Chicken with Butternut Squash and Sweet Potatoes from Eats Well With Others blog and it was awesome. I am definitely adding this to my "favorites" list and I am not just saying that to humor my boyfriend.

I can't say anything about the cooking process because I got there with only enough time to burn the walnuts for the salad (totally my fault) and help serve up the food. What I can say was that the food tasted great and was a perfect winter dish plus it's healthy! I thought there was just enough spice, the honey and cinnamon helps cut the heat from the chipotle peppers, but if you aren't a fan of a little heat I would suggest only using 2 or 3 of the peppers.


Chipotle Honey Chicken with Butternut Squash and Sweet Potatoes
** from Eats Well With Others
print recipe

Serves 4
Prep/Cook Time: 1 hour

20 oz butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
20 oz sweet potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tbsp olive oil
4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry
chopped cilantro or basil for garnish

Preheat the oven to 400.  Toss the sweet potatoes and butternut squash with 1 tbsp of olive oil.  Spray a roasting pan with cooking spray and then spread the sweet potatoes and squash over it.  Roast for 15 minutes.

While the sweet potatoes and squash are cooking, in a small bowl, mix together the remaining tbsp of olive oil, chiles, garlic, honey, cider vinegar, salt, cumin, and cinnamon, until they form a paste.  Rub the paste all over the chicken.  Carefully place the chicken on top of the sweet potatoes and butternut squash.  Put back in the oven and continue to roast until the chicken is just cooked through, about 25 minutes.  Serve garnished with cilantro or basil.

No comments: