Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lemon-Vodka Pasta

I am a big fan of Trader Joe's. I think they have some really great products at a very reasonable price. I have many favorites at the store that have become staples in my pantry. Brady received the Trader Joe's Cookbook for Christmas and it was such a great gift. The cookbook is full of quick recipes with minimal ingredients. I had to "borrow" it so I could share the recipe on the blog, I haven't decided if I will return it or not....

This past week we made a Lemon-Vodka Pasta with Chicken. Probably not our healthiest meal but it was cold and snowy and we were both in the mood for something filling and comforting. I think that it could definitely be lightened but I thought it was worth the extra calories.

Lemon-Vodka Pasta
** adapted from The I Heart Trader Joe's Cookbook
print recipe

Serves 4
Prep/Cook Time: 20 minutes

1 (16 oz) bag whole wheat linguini, spaghetti, or capellini
2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 (8 oz) container mascarpone (or you could use light cream cheese)
zest and juice of one lemon
bunch of asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
2 T. vodka
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
lemon pepper
salt and pepper

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta till al dente. While the pasta cooks, in a medium saucepan, warm the mascarpone, lemon juice and vodka. Season to taste with salt and pepper. About four minutes before the pasta is done add the asparagus to the pasta pot. Once cooked, drain the pasta water.

Meanwhile heat a skillet with a little bit of oil and add chicken to the skillet. Sprinkle chicken with lemon pepper and cook till no longer pink in the middle.

Add the cooked chicken to the vodka sauce and pour over the pasta and asparagus. Garnish with chopped basil. 

No comments: