Monday, May 30, 2011

Greek Steak Pitas with Dill Sauce

I am not the best at walking into the grocery store and just deciding then and there what I am going to make for dinner. Unless I am making pizza or pasta I usually need a recipe and more importantly a grocery list. Friday when I entered Trader Joes for groceries I barely had a game plan and there was definitely no shopping list but somehow we ended up with a great dinner.

Again, sorry for the bad picture. I get my new camera tomorrow so no more phone photos!
Greek Steak Pitas with Dill Sauce
print recipe

Steak:
1 pound flank steak
1/2 cup lemon juice- about 4 lemons
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper
1 green pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
pita bread

Dill Sauce:
1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
2 tsp dill
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper

Preheat broiler.

Place the flank steak in a large plastic bag. Pour the lemon juice on top and marinate for 10 minutes. Remove steak from bag and discard the sauce. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Cook the steak for 15 minutes. Remove steak from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing.

While steak is cooking, saute the sliced green pepper and onion over medium-high heat in a skillet coated with a little olive oil. Saute for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft and starting to brown. 

In a small bowl combine all of the dill sauce ingredients. To assemble, cut the pita bread in half, spoon in a little dill sauce, add the sliced steak and vegetables.

** We served this with our favorite Greek salad. I highly recommend this salad recipe, it's delicious!

No comments: