Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Nectarine and Corn Salsa

Pork tenderloin on the grill makes me think of summer. I recall many Sunday afternoons where my dad was manning the grill and my mom and I were inside making side dishes (my brother most likely keeping my dad company with a beer in hand). Considering grilled pork tenderloin was a staple for the Bower family during  summer months you would have thought I made it here all the time. Surprisingly, I have actually never tried grilling a pork tenderloin myself... until now. I am proud to say that this past weekend Brady and I successfully grilled our first pork tenderloin! My dad should be proud :)

I tried a grilled pork tenderloin dish similar to the recipe below at a friends going away party last summer and I've been wanting to recreate it ever since. I love how well the nectarine and corn salsa pairs with the pork. I typically cheat and buy the pre-marinated pork tenderloin but I thought the spice rub gave the pork great flavor and making it was about as simple as it gets. This is a great healthy dish, perfect for summer and entertaining.


Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Nectarine and Corn Salsa
** adapted from Cooks Illustrated

Serves 2-3

Pork Tenderloin
1 T. brown sugar
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp allspice
1 Ib pork tenderloin

Nectarine and Corn Salsa
2 ripe nectarines, pitted and diced
1 ear of corn, husks and silk removed, kernels cut from cob
1/2 small shallot, minced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and minced
2 T. lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
sugar (if needed)
1 T. fresh chives, chopped

For the pork, combine brown sugar through allspice in small bowl. Rub the dry mixture all over the pork tenderloin. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Grill the pork over medium heat until it reaches an internal temperature of 145. Transfer the meat to a plate or cutting board, cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

For the nectarine and corn salsa, combine all ingredients except the chives in a mixing bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes. Stir in chives before serving.

After pork has rested, slice the pork and serve with the nectarine and corn salsa.

No comments: