Monday, October 31, 2011

Mediterranean Torta

Brady and I spent a weekend at my parents house in Kansas City last month. While we were there my mom made us a Mediterranean Torta appetizer. I couldn't stop eating it, it was so good!  Not only did the torta taste great but it looked really pretty. I will definitely be making this the next time I need to bring an appetizer somewhere. It's a the perfect appetizer recipe because it can be made ahead of time and is fine sitting out while people snack. I can't say anything about how it was to make but it sounds simple enough!

Mediterranean Torta
** My moms recipe, I'm not sure where she found it.

Serves 6-8

1 5 1/2 oz. package goat cheese, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 c. toasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
1 c. oil-packed sun dried tomatoes
1 bunch fresh basil leaves, washed and dried

In a small bowl, mix together the goat cheese and cream cheese until well blended. Fold in the chopped hazelnuts. Set aside.

Blot the sun-dried tomatoes dry and then mince. Set aside.

For the mold, line a 2 cup round dish with plastic wrap, extending it out over the edges by about 2 inches. Cover the bottom of dish with 1/4 of the sun dried tomatoes. Top with 1/4 of the cheese mixture, packing down and smoothing it with the back of a spoon. Cover cheese with a layer of basil.

Continue layering the ingredients, making sure to pack down the cheese mixture. Pull the edges of the plastic wrap up to seal and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. To serve, open plastic wrap and turn mold out onto a serving dish. Serve with crackers or toasted bread slices.

No comments: