Monday, April 30, 2012

Turkey Stuffed Peppers

My mom used to make stuffed peppers when I was a kid. To be honest I don't remember what she put in them but I remember liking them. Recently, I came across a few stuffed pepper recipes and thought I would keep them on hand for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner. After further review, I wasn't completely sold on the recipes so I came up with the below recipe to incorporate things I already had at home. Brady and I loved how these turned out. They were light and healthy but full of flavor.

 Turkey Stuffed Peppers

Serves 
Prep/Cook Time: 35 minutes

4 large red, yellow, or green bell peppers, top cut off and seeded
1 pound ground turkey
2 tsp oil, divided
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
1/2 zucchini, chopped
1/2 can black beans, drained and rinse
1 cup salsa
1/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice

Preheat the oven to 375. Place the peppers sliced side down in a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes and then remove from the oven.

Meanwhile, saute the ground turkey in a skillet coated with 1 tsp oil. Add the cumin, oregano, and chili powder and a little salt and pepper. Cook until the meat is browned and no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Remove meat from the skillet and set aside.

In the same skillet, heat the other teaspoon of oil and saute the onion and zucchini for about 4-5 minutes.Add the onion and zucchini mixture to the turkey. Stir in the black beans and the salsa.

Once the peppers have been removed from the oven, stuff each pepper with the turkey mixture and sit them upright. Top each pepper with a little shredded cheese and bake for another 12-15 minutes.

** Depending on the size of the peppers, you will probably have extra turkey mixture. I used the leftovers for an easy taco dinner a couple days later.

No comments: