Sunday, April 3, 2011

Vegetarian Pizza

I love a good vegetarian pizza. However, I haven't had the best of luck making my own in the past. I am not sure if it was the combination of vegetables I used or how I prepared them but my attempts at vegetarian pizza always seem to be a bit disappointing. Until now that is, Brady and I made a vegetarian pizza on Friday night that was awesome. It easily ranks right up there with my favorite pizza recipe for Sausage and Fig Pizza.  I loved the combination of the peppers and fresh basil and I thought the goat cheese was a great addition.


Vegetarian Pizza
** adapted from Food Network Magazine
print recipe

Serves 4
Prep/Cook Time: 30 minutes

1 yellow pepper, cut into thin strips
1 orange pepper, cut into thin strips
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
3 cloves garlic; 1 minced, 2 sliced
2 T. olive oil
favorite pizza dough

6 ounces mozzarella cheese,shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
3 ounces provolone cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cups)
2 T. pine nuts, toasted
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled

Preheat oven to 375 (or whatever pizza dough recommends). Toss the peppers, tomatoes, basil and minced garlic with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Cook the sliced garlic in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until golden, about 1 minute. Cool slightly.

Spray a baking sheet with PAM. Spread or roll out the pizza dough onto the pan. Drizzle with a little of the garlic oil. Top with the mozzarella, provolone and tomato-pepper mixture, then sprinkle with the pine nuts and sliced garlic.

Bake the pizza until the crust is golden and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes depending on what type of crust you use. Top with goat cheese before slicing.

No comments: