Saturday, May 26, 2012

Apple Pie with Crumb Topping

I went home a couple of weeks ago for Mother's Day. It was so nice to spend the weekend with my parents and have the chance to visit with Kansas City friends.  Before heading back to Chicago, my mom and I made an apple pie. I had been craving pie and it sounded nice to spend Mother's Day baking with my mom. We used a couple of different recipes for our apple pie and it turned out fantastic.  As soon as I boarded the plane I was kicking myself for not finding room in my carry-on for a piece of leftover pie!
This picture was taken before baking the pie.
Apple Pie with Crumb Topping

Prep/Cook Time: 1 hour

1 pie crust- I use Pillsbury but you could certainly make a homemade crust

Pie Filling:
2/3 c. sugar
2 T. flour
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
dash nutmeg
6 -8 tart apples, pared, cored, and sliced (6 cups) - I used half Gala and half Granny Smith

Crumb Topping: 
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 450.

Press pie crust into a pie dish. Flute the edges. Put the sliced apples in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the first 4 filling ingredients; stir into apples. Turn the apple mixture into the pie shell.

In a small bowl, combine the dry topping ingredients. Pour the cooled melted butter into the dry ingredients and stir until small to medium sized crumbs form. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apples and bake at 400 for 45 to 50 minutes.

No comments: