Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Black Bean Soup

I love Trader Joe's boxed soups. I make homemade soup all the time, but sometimes for convenience sake it's nice to just pick up a boxed soup. I really like the Latin Style Black Bean Soup, it has great flavor. My only complaint is that the consistency is very thin. I have bought this soup a few times now and doctored it up with whatever I have in the fridge and pantry to give it a more homemade taste. I think the addition of the black beans is a must because the soup is so thin but the rest of the ingredients were just things I had on hand, although I have to say it turned out really well!


Black Bean Soup

Prep/Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4
print recipe

1 box of Trader Joes Latin Style Black Bean Soup
2 chicken sausage links, cut into small pieces (I used the Spicy Jalapeno variety from Trader Joe's)
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
suggested garnishes: shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa verde, chopped cilantro

Pour the soup into a large soup pot. Heat on medium high heat. Stir in the chicken sausage and black beans. Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium high heat and spray with PAM. Saute the red onion and jalapeno for a few minutes, until slightly browned. Add the onion mixture to the soup pot. Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes. Garnish soup as desired.

1 comment:

K said...

all you Trader Joe recipes really make me miss normal grocery stores and especially TJ!